Stand Still Agreement 1947

Some local leaders of the princely states have tried to buy time by declaring that they will sign the status quo agreement, but not the accession instrument until they have had time to make up their minds. In response, the Indian government considered that it would only sign status quo agreements with the states that joined the Union. [4] Until August 15, 1947, the agreed date and date of India`s independence, all but four princely states, which are Indian, signed about 560 of them, both the accession instrument and the status quo agreement with India. The exceptions were Hyderabad, a large state in central South India, which received a two-month extension, and three small states of Gujarat: Junagadh and its subsidiaries (Mangrol and Babariawad). [5] Pakistan immediately challenged the accession and suggested that it was fraudulent, that the Maharajah had acted under duress and that he had no right to sign an agreement with India when the status quo agreement with Pakistan was still in force. On September 4, 1947, General Henry Lawrence Scott, commander of Jammu and Kashmir state forces, complained of several covert attacks from Pakistan and called on the Maharaja government to address the issue with Pakistan. On the same day, Prime Minister J-K, Janak Singh, formally complained to Pakistan and called for “rapid action”. The Indian Independence Act of 1947 laid the legal basis for the British withdrawal from the subcontinent and guaranteed partition. On June 3, 1947, a status quo agreement was drawn up by the British-Indian government to ensure that “all administrative arrangements between the British Crown and the Spring State be maintained without amendment between the signatory states (India and Pakistan) and the State until new agreements are reached.” On October 22, 1947, Pakistan launched Operation Gulmarg by mobilizing members of the NWFP tribe. About 2,000 tribesmen, armed with modern weapons and under the direct control of Pakistani army generals, entered motor buses and on foot in Muzaffarabad. Pakistan accepted the offer and, on 15 August 1947, sent a communication to Prime Minister J-K, Janak Singh.

Hyderabad violated all the terms of the agreement: in foreign affairs, by carrying out intrigues with Pakistan, to which it had secretly lent 15 million pounds; in defence, by building a large semi-military army; communication, through interventions in border traffic and transit traffic of Indian railways. [18] India has also been accused of violating the agreement by imposing an economic blockade. It turns out that the State of Bombay unknowingly intervened from Delhi in deliveries to Hyderabad. The government has promised to take it with the provincial governments, but scholar Lucien Benichou says it has never been done. India also delayed India`s arms deliveries to Hyderabad, which was later de affirmed as a violation of the status quo agreement. Meanwhile, Pakistan interpreted the fact that the J-K Silence Agreement with India was on hold to mean that the state would eventually join Pakistan. New Delhi: 72 years ago, shortly after the independence of India and Pakistan, massive diplomatic and military activities were carried out in October 1947 in New Delhi, Karachi (then the capital of Pakistan) and Srinagar, the summer capital of the main state of Jammu and Kashmir. According to historian Rajmohan Gandhi: “Vallabhbhai (Patel) lukewarm over Kashmir had lasted until September 13, 1947. In a letter to Baldev Singh, India`s prime minister of defence, Patel had hinted in the morning that “if (the Kashmir) decided to join the other Dominion,” he would accept the fact.

Leave a reply